9/22/07

thump thump thump

"What is that noise?" I asked my twelve year old son.

I was sitting quietly, enjoying a morning cup of coffee and thinking about nothing in particular.

"Oh, that's me," my son answered. "I'm trying to see if it's possible to jump without bending my knees."

You can always count on a twelve year old to both interrupt a quiet moment and give you something to think about.

I defy you to put the hypothesis of jumping without bending out of your head without at least visualizing the process or even standing up and giving it a go yourself. Just be prepared for questions from anyone within earshot trying to enjoy a quiet moment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, that's really tough on the ankles.

fishboy said...

Ouch. I agree - and I nearly fell over twice.

Anonymous said...

Biophysics tells me that if one does not bend the knees, the entire leg acts as a rigid unit, and once the feet strike the floor (from, say, the height of the back of the couch), the upper leg bones will be driven forcefully into the hip sockets, and quite possibly through them into the pelvis. Then the pre-teen in question would scream in agony and require a trip to the emergency room and several weeks off school to heal, then months of physical therapy, requiring still more time off work (and always at the most inconvenient time). This is why a mother with a little too much science in her background simply handles the situation with a very loud, "What the hell are you doing? Stop it and don't do that again!", and thinks about it no further. Hence, no blog entries from mothers on such topics.

Anonymous said...

Moms are always SO right. Too bad you can't apply that same authority on your hubbies - it takes them years to do anything you ask! ;)

CarolynArtist said...

Hilarious! I keep playing it over and over in my head. I used to be able to run and kick myself in the bum, it was sort of fascinating. I was probably 7.