9/19/07

Patina

The installer said our new patio doors should be stained or painted within the first six weeks to protect the wood. That deadline slipped. Then Bill Clinton left office making room for George Bush, 9/11 and war with Iraq. Obviously, I was in no mood for staining wood. I gave up my gym membership somewhere along the line. Stopped running, too. Got out of shape. Some nasty accusations about secret torture camps made the news, complete with nasty photographs. The furnace broke on the coldest day of the year. Then I started running again, but fell. It hurt. I vowed never to run again. Another election. Domestic spying. The air conditioner broke on the hottest day of the year. Melting ice sheets. Sea level up to here. Still the patio doors remained untreated. Lately, though, things have been okay. There's talk of bringing home the troops. I've returned to the gym. Run a few times without falling. My football team has a winning record. There are fewer Hummers on the road and more hybrids. There’s money in the bank. The mortgage is solvent. I am feeling, well, hopeful. So, last weekend I went to the hardware store and bought a pint of wood stain, some sandpaper, masking tape, a drop cloth and a new paint brush. I came home and got busy. First there was the sanding. The patio doors had taken on a patina over the years consisting mostly of human exhaust, skin oil and kitchen smoke. It took a lot of sandpaper to remove this grime. But it came off eventually and the replenished wood soaked in the stain with a pent up thirst. A second coat deepened the luster and filled in the spots I had missed. The doors look nice. Clean. Transformed. Red oak now instead of yellow pine. Next weekend I'll add two coats of polyurethane to lock in the stain and they'll be done. It’s hard for me to imagine. The patio doors are ready. Ready for what? That's the question.

10 comments:

Mike said...

ready for the next administration!

Anonymous said...

Ummm...dear...the cross-bar thingies that cover the glass so that it looks like we have real window panes (which we don't) have not yet been stained...it would be nice if they were done before Nov. 4, 2008...

Mike said...

Hopefully we will all be celebrating something other than your windows on Nov. 4th, 2008.

Anonymous said...

I'm just a little hurt that I find out about your patio doors here. I thought I deserved some kind of advance warning. Even maybe an invite. We could have toasted the moment with a rich, hoppy ale!

Jack said...

Sorry, Jon. But you know how blogging is. Content. Content. Content. I have to feed the beast.

A hoppy toast is still in order!!

Sandy Underpants said...

dear wifey. not mullions, not transoms, not casements or sills, not sash or cames, but muntins(some say glazing bars, astragals or muntin bars). in this case, fake, decorative muntins. until the middle of the 19th century, it was economically necessary to use smaller panes of glass, which were much more affordable to produce and fabricate into a grid to make large windows and doors. many still consider the division of a window or glazed door into smaller panes to be more architecturally attractive than use of large panes. some companies in the U.S. use the term "grille" when referring to a set of decorative muntin bars added to give a sash the appearance of a "true divided light" sash, but those companies suck donkey dicks. (with abundant help from Wikipedia, except for the donkey dick part) I started out thinking muntins were called mullions, which goes to show how not smart I am, confusing mullions with muntins, gosh, when most everybody knows the mullion is a load bearing member. I had a recent mullion conversation with my sister(really); I'll need to come clean with her. I just hope she hasn't embarrassed herself with a 'mullion' misusage in another venue.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

I sometimes wonder about Sandy. He got lucky last week (on his birthday no less) by giving some single mom's toddler a balloon. I think it's gone completely to his head.

Jack said...

Ahh, Sandy's alright, as long as he checks in with his parole officer on a weekly basis.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sandy. Now I have another question. Are the columns in the front of our house Doric, Ionic, or Corinthian, even if they were constructed and installed by a modern French-Canadian who, I believe, spoke no Greek?

Sandy Underpants said...

they are Penisoric