9/3/12

Ice Age Poetry

Every poem I write is set aside for a length of time and approached again with the benefit of a different frame of mind. How long do the poems rest? That depends. Some longer than others. Recently a poem came to me in the most unusual of formats. It consisted of a series of rock wall paintings, just like the ones found in the caves frequented by early man. This seemed pretty strange to me but as I started to decipher the meaning of the stick figures in the paintings and the actions depicted, I realized that this really was a poem and I must have written it. The style, the content, the voice, were all mine. I can only think that I wrote this poem in one of my past lives and it was just coming back to me now. It's the story of a boy and a girl from different nomadic tribes who meet, fall in love and then find themselves separated by an advancing glacier. Of course, being young and idealistic, they wait for each other, never once losing faith. And after the ice retreats their patience is rewarded - they are reunited. But not for long. Before they are even back in each other's arms, before their love for one other can be affirmed, they are torn apart. Literally. By a saber-tooth tiger. Both of them savagely eaten.  A tragic story.  I'm thinking this poem still needs rest.  Perhaps I'll leave it for my next life.

No comments: